On the XL Standard Carder, the drum is 30 cm wide, almost 12 inches wide.
It comes with the standard cloth-(Extra Fine carding cloth 72 teeth per square inch)
- perfectly cards fine fibers as well as other coarser fibres
- and is 1.5 x wider than the regular Standard Drum Carder.
- The surface speed ratio is 12:1.
The Louet drum carders
- are made of laminated birch
- and have a hard white coating, to ensure a long life,
- have teeth made of high grade plated steel wire.
- have a gearbox which is enclosed to prevent fibers entering the gear system.
- use a gear drive, there are no belts to slip or wear out
are fully assembled and come with two clamps, cleaning brush, and doffer .
- An instruction manual written by well known author and fiber artist Deb Menz is included with all drumcarders
These wide drum carders
- make a extra big batt
- have intermeshing teeth for great carding performance.You can card fibers without pre-teasing. Fibre can be fed directly into the licker-in (feeder drum)
the extra high, flexible, teeth allow for a heavier batt than other drum carders as well as a high carding efficiency.
For drumcarders it is common to mention the gear ratio that drives the licker-in when you rotate the large drum.
However, what really counts for carding is the ratio of the surface speed of both drums. You get this by multiplying the gear ratio with the ratio of the diameters of the large drum and the licker-in. This surface speed ratio is 12:1
- Drum is 30 cm wide
- Teeth are 11 mm (3/8") deep
- Weight 10kg
- Carding teeth are flexible
Read the blog post on Louet Drumcarders for additional information.
Price listed is a guide and can vary with the exchange rate. Contact us for a fixed price.