Magic Dobby Loom
The Magic Dobby can be used as a table loom or as a floor loom when supported by the stand.
- The front and rear sections fold up towards the castle, for easy storage or travel.
- It is 24 shafts, which is a very efficient use of space.
- It is very portable, capable of complex weaving, making it the perfect workshop loom and an ideal sampler loom for weavers using a larger scale multi-harness floor loom.
Magic Dobby is available in 40 cm and 70 cm weaving width and is made of lacquered beech. The loom comes with the castle section assembled and a floor stand with treadle, swinging beater system, raddle, a stainless steel reed 40-10 (10 dpi), 600/800 Texsolv heddles, lease and tie-up sticks and sixteen warp sticks.
MD 40cm - 58 x 100 x 140 cm MD 70cm - 88 x 100 x 140 cm
Folded 58 cm (23′′) deep
Weight MD 40cm - 25 kg (55 lb) MD 70 - 33 kg (73 lb)
You buy a loom body and then add a lifting system, either a mechanical dobby lifting system or an electronic dobby lifting system
Use of the loom
The construction and operation of the dobby system is both easy to understand and easy to work with. Using the MD as a table loom, you open the shed lifting the selected harnesses by the lever. If the loom is mounted on the included floor stand, you can open the shed using the treadle and/or the lever.
- As a table loom, it doesn't have the mechanical advantages of the moving back beam, as on other larger Louet looms, to open a wider shed, so the shed is smaller, but accurate and functional, and the more shafts you need to lift, the more effort you need to make.
- This was the first Louet loom I had, and I wove on it as my only electronic loom for 10 years before purchasing the Megado.
Using the Mechanical Dobby + program bars
- The program bars are easy to peg, with one bar per pick of your liftplan. The bars are then joined to form a loop and placed on the loom.
- The loop advances with each lift. 30 program bars are included with your Mechanical Dobby
- With the square dial on the front of the castle, you activate the dobby chain forward or backward by rotating it 90 degrees.
- With the mechanical dobby the pivoting chain tensioner can be positioned to allow a chain with over 100 program bars. When a chain of more than 34/44 program bars (MD40/MD70) is used, a weight in the loop of the chain is needed to keep tension on the chain.
The Electronic Dobby + software
- With the electronic interface, the weaving software on your computer will select the shafts.
- The Electronic Dobby adds a further 7 kg approx to the weight of your loom. You always keep the box that your electronic dobby goes in, in case you want to transport your loom. (Easy to remove and replace the interface )
When you purchase a Magic Dobby Electronic loom, consider ordering
- Bench - height 57 cm (22 3/8”)
- Second warp beam with back beam, to be placed in the stand
- The swinging beater can be replaced with a standing beater mounted on the frame.
- Flying Dutchman shuttle, specially developed for this loom
- additional heddles
The computer and weaving software pictured are not included with the Magic Dobby loom, they are provided by the purchaser
- Your loom may need to be couriered to your home, as it comes in several large parcels. Please email for a cost before ordering on the website
- We can assemble your loom for you, or you can assemble it yourself with the instructions that are included. It is best to assemble it with a friend.
- Read our terms and conditions
- Read the Blog page on Magic Dobby, as it gives more information on the Magic Dobby from the Louet website.
Courier fees from Epping Sydney to your place are an additional cost.